- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
- Tuition & Costs
About the Program
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Teacher Leadership program is offered in partnership with Rowan’s NCATE accredited College of Education. It is designed for teachers who want to develop and hone their leadership skills but wish to remain in the classroom. Candidates work with curriculum, become mentor/master teachers, and develop new programs aimed at improving schooling for all children.
The M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership is a part-time program offered in an accelerated online format. This degree requires the completion of 33 to 36 graduate semester hours (11-12 courses) in six consecutive semesters. The following three components make up the M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership program:
I. Core Courses18 semester hours in teaching and learning
II. Content Area CoursesChoose from one of the following:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Educational Technology
- English as a Second Language
- Global History
- Middle School Mathematics
- School Public Relations
- Special Education
III. Program Exit– a professional synthesis portfolio and a teacher leadership presentation
Each course is scheduled in 8 week modules with each week of work starting every Tuesday at 8:00a.m. and ending every Monday at 11:59p.m. (Eastern Standard Time). The graduate-level courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally. Click on the courses below to view available course descriptions.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|ELEM 02511||Learning Community Classrooms||3|
|ELEM 02550||Analysis of Classroom Teacher Behaviors||3|
|READ 30566||Researching Classroom Practice||3|
|EDUC 01624||Educational Change||3|
|CURR 29580||Fundamentals of Curriculum Development||3|
|LDTC 18510||Applied Theories of Learning||3|
|Content Area Courses: Choose one of the following content areas (click to view coursework).|
|------------||Autism Spectrum Disorders||15|
|------------||English as Second Language||16–21|
|------------||Middle School Mathematics||18|
|------------||School Public Relations||9|
|Total Semester Hours: 33–36|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Completed Graduate-level CGCE Application Form. Download the PDF or click here to apply online.
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives (including your definition of a teacher leader)
- Two letters of recommendation
- M.Ed. Content COGS Declaration Form (pdf)
- NJ Standard or CEAS Teaching Certification (required only for Special Ed. Content COGS)
- This program requires regular access to a classroom for course assignments and is designed for practicing teachers who are currently teaching and have at least one full academic year of teaching experience before beginning the program.
- Please include with your application materials a signed statement confirming that you are actively teaching and have been teaching for at least one academic year.
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of Online M. Ed. anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Fall 2014 – Module 1||08/26/2014||08/01/2014|
|Summer 2015 – Module 5||05/05/2015||04/01/2015|
|Summer 2015 – Module 6||06/30/2015||06/01/2015|
Tuition & Costs
$707 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2014/2015 and is subject to change)