- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates and Application Deadlines
About the Program
The Bilingual/Bicultural Education (BEE) Endorsement program responds to the need for highly qualified teachers prepared to teach content in both the student's native language and in English to the growing numbers of English language learners in the schools. Specific objectives emphasize the application of theory to practice, development of long-range and short-range plans that integrate language and content, design of appropriate authentic assessment instruments, and use of technology to research content and instructional techniques.
Curriculum - Program Code: .COGE-BILBIC / Major Code: G605
The Bilingual/Bicultural Education (BEE) Endorsement is a part-time program offered in an accelerated online format. It requires the completion of 12 graduate semester hours (4 courses) which are possible to complete in only 3 consecutive semesters.
The following courses make up the Bilingual/Bicultural Education (BEE) Endorsement program. Each course is scheduled in 8 week modules with each week of work starting every Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. and ending every Monday at midnight (Eastern Standard time). The graduate-level courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|BLED 40510||Issues of Language and Cultural Diversity in ESL/Bilingual Programs||3|
|BLED 40512||Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition for Teaching Second Language||3|
|BLED 40521||Teaching Bilingual Education: Process and Practice||3|
|BLED 40522||Integrating Language and Content in the ESL/Bilingual Education||3|
|Total Semester Hours: 12|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the Bilingual/ Bicultural Education Endorsement program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Completed Graduate-level CGCE Application Form. Download the PDF or click here to apply online.
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current professional resume
- Passing scores on the OPI and WPT test administered by Language Testing International (LTI) www.languagetesting.com
- Passing scores (of “Advanced Low” or higher) on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) for written English results
- Passing scores (of “Advanced Low”or higher) on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) for target language (not English) results
- Passing scores (of “Advanced Low” or higher) on the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) for written English results
- Passing scores (of “Advanced Low” or higher) on the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) for target language (not English) results
- Note: These four test results must be submitted with the application package.
- Copy of NJ State Teacher Certification (CEAS or Standard) in one of the following areas:
- Elementary (K–5)
- Mathematics (K–12)
- Any area of Science (K–12)
- Social Studies (K–12)
Start Dates and Application Deadlines
Below is a list of Bilingual/ Bicultural Education Endorsement anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Fall 2013 – Module 2||TBD||09/15/2013|
|Spring 2014 – Module 3||Early January||11/15/2013|
|Summer 2014 – Module 6||TBD||06/01/2014|
Tuition and Costs
$700 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2013/2014 and is subject to change)