- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates & Application Deadlines
- Tuition & Costs
About the Program
The Ed. D. in Educational Leadership at Rowan University prepares professionals in pre-kindergarten through grade twelve, higher education, and community colleges to advance to education leadership positions. This Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership requires the completion of 60 graduate semester hours (S.H.) made up of 16 courses (48 S.H.) and 12 S.H. of dissertation. The program includes three distinct benchmarks. Benchmark I takes place after the completion of four of the five core courses and consists of a written assessment, followed by an interview with a committee of faculty. Benchmark II consists of a presentation to a committee of faculty. Benchmark III is the dissertation defense. All three Benchmarks may be done virtually for online students. The Online Ed. D. in Educational Leadership program is designed to make it convenient for working professionals to attend class and continue to pursue their educational leadership career goals.
There are 4 tracks offered in the doctoral program:
There will be two required residencies in the program that will take place on the Glassboro, NJ campus.
Residency 1 will take place in August just prior to the start of the program. Students will spend four days (Thursday to Sunday) on the campus of Rowan University becoming familiar with policies and procedures of the College of Graduate and Continuing Education, the mission and conceptual framework of the College of Education, as well as program expectations of the Educational Leadership Department. Students will also attend workshops designed to acquaint them with leadership development, action research and change strategies, reflective practice, social justice issues, and the development and implementation of professional learning communities.
Residency 2 involves a three day stay at the conclusion of year two on Rowan’s Glassboro campus (Friday to Sunday). It occurs in July and will focus on research methodologies and data analysis techniques in order to ensure that students are fully prepared for dissertation work. This three day residency will also familiarize students with the Rowan dissertation process, as well as with faculty members who will be able to serve on dissertation committees.
The Ed. D. in Educational Leadership Online program is designed to be completed in approximately 10 semesters by taking two courses per term (most terms).
The graduate-level courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally. Click on the courses below to view available course descriptions.
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the Online Ed. D. in Educational Leadership program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Completed Graduate-level CGCE Application Form. Download the PDF or click here to apply online.
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Master's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Those applying to the P-16 Track must submit the CGCE Ed.D. in Educational Leadership P-16 Track Declaration Form
- Three letters of recommendation (While the official Recommendation Form is required, an actual letter from the recommender is preferred. Also if you have received your Master’s degree within the past five years, please be sure one of the recommenders is an instructor from your Master’s program.)
- Recommended cumulative GPA of 3.5 in prior graduate studies
- Copies of any educational certifications: (While certification is not required for the program, the Faculty Admissions Committee asks applicants to please submit a copy of any educational certifications held)
- Three typewritten essays as follows:
- In 500 words or fewer, describe your reasons for wanting to enroll in the Educational Leadership Doctoral program.
- In 500 words or fewer, describe the characteristics of an effective leader. In what ways do you demonstrate those characteristics? In what ways can you improve?
- In 1000 words or fewer, describe a pressing issue facing education today. If it were your responsibility to address the issue on a national level, how would you approach the problem? With whom would you collaborate to develop your plan?
- Interview with the Faculty Admissions Committee. (Those selected to move forward by the Admissions Committee will be contacted directly regarding the interview. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
Start Dates & Application Deadlines
Below is a list of Ed. D. anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
Tuition & Costs
$850 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2013/2014 and is subject to change)
- Room and board during residency at a discounted rate (single room accommodations available)
- Transportation to campus for residency requirements